Monday, February 25, 2013

Networking Pays Off

Do you remember my freshman year where I made a big deal about how I felt like everyone else was partying and taking their time with college and I wasn't drawn to that scene? I always said that I started networking when I first stepped on campus. And now I know why, because today it paid off:

Emma,
 
My name is Phil and I am the principal at High School.  Long story short, your name was given to my French teacher by her BSU Prof as someone who might be interested in filling in during a maternity leave.
 
Jenna teaches French at High School and will be taking a maternity leave for approximately 6 weeks.  She is due any day and will be out until the second week of May give or take a day or two.  The person we had lined up has canceled on us and we are scrambling now to find a replacement.
 
Feel free to call us or e-mail if you prefer.  Please let me know if you are interested or not as soon as possible. 
[NOTE: e-mail was edited to protect identities and locations]

I haven't graduated yet, It's the middle of the semester, I've never even heard of the high school or principal or even teacher who works there! But because I made sure the French professors knew who I was and I made sure to stand out in my field, I was the name they referred to the high school.

Everything I've worked for, everything I've done, is now worth it. Even if for some reason I can't take the job (it's not exactly close to where I am now), the fact that it was offered to me just because of a reference (no application, no interview, etc) is pretty spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment