Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Awesomeness that is the Interwebs

A couple weeks ago, I was cleaning my bathroom when I realized that I am completely out of contact lenses. Normally, that just means I have to get my prescription from the fridge, go to Walmart, and get some contacts. However, I didn't have my prescription at the apartment. Figuring it was with the parents from the move, I ask my mom about it, and she says that it has expired and I'll have to schedule an eye appointment to get a new script.

Now, I don't see this as too big of a deal; I'm fine with calling and scheduling appointments. I was lucky enough to find out that our vision insurance is the same as it was before the move, so I didn't have to find a new optometrist, yay! However, due to teaching, I could only schedule one in the afternoon, and not even the early afternoon, so I couldn't even schedule one until March 31st! (Did I mention that I need contacts now...?) I went ahead and scheduled the appointment, hoping that the pair I've been wearing since mid-December continues to hold up trying not to think of the cost of the appointment not to mention the cost of the contacts on top of that.

Well then, I started doing some research. 1800contacts says on all their ads that the only prescription you need is the one printed on your contact lens box. I went to their site and saw that I could order contacts right then and there...for $50. I did the math and I'll probably spend that much if not a little more by going in and getting an exam and a script...but I'd still have to wait the month and a half.

I just about bought them when I thought to do some more research to see if anyone else was offering them cheaper (I still use Acuvue 2, which has been out since I was in middle school so I find it hard to believe they have to be so expensive. Low and behold, I found them! They were not only cheaper, but first time users got a $15 off coupon on their order! So I got the contacts I needed plus shipping for less than $35! THat's barely more than the copay for the appointment!

The internet is awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment