Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm about to Punch Righteousness in the Face

I've seen this post a couple of times on Facebook in the last couple of weeks:

"Kids with Special needs aren't weird or odd. They only want what everyone wants.... to be accepted. Can I make a request? Is anyone willing to post this and leave it on your status for 1 hour? It is Special Education week & Autism & ADHD Awareness month, and this is in honor of all children"

This completely pisses me off. First off, I hate those statuses where they want everyone to re-post. That within itself makes me feel like it's a complete guilt trip sham. But *then* when you get your facts wrong. Here's another example of that:

"IMPORTANT ALERT: Gerber is asking everyone to return all banana baby food expiring 2012; they may contain pieces of glass. Please copy and paste for all moms and babies safety..bar code 761303308973"

I mean...do people seriously not check on facts before they put it out there on the internet? There's this little site called SNOPES.COM and it will tell you whether something out there is true or not. Back to the Gerber example, it got so out of control that Gerber had to release a statement saying it was false! and on snopes.com it said that it was a complete sham, it was a french baby food company not even affiliated with Gerber that found ONE SHARD OF GLASS in ONE JAR, and then recalled the order for precautionary reasons. Here's the article:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/babyfood.asp

And then back to the Autism awareness month, that one makes me mad because I have an autistic brother. I care very much about him and my entire family has been educated on autism and special education. And then there are these people, these righteous people, who I feel have never truly experienced what it's like being close to an autistic person, who are posting these things. And maybe they do, who am I to judge, but I feel if they truly did, THEY'D KNOW WHICH MONTH IS *ACTUALLY* AUTISM AWARENESS MONTH.

It's April, by the way, in case you were wondering. Here's the information on that:

http://www.autism-society.org/about-us/national-autism-awareness-month/

Does it make you feel better posting statuses like that? Do you feel like you affect someone? What's the point? What does re-posting do? It spreads the lies, and it gets almost as out of hand as those old "if you don't e-mail this to 10 of your friends my ghost will haunt you tonight at midnight".

Get Educated. Ignorance gets you no where.

5 comments:

  1. Emma, I applaud you for this post.

    -Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Emma! I wholeheartedly agree.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen anything about when special education week is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. understanding your aggravation with someone who does not have personal experience with this struggle (because I do have up close & personal experience) I would just like to suggest that anytime 1 single person or a community at large can be made aware of this struggle is a good time, whether its "national awareness for .." month or not. yes, please check facts before posting! but the bottom line is autism, asperger's & adhd do not affect the person only 1 month out of the year. it is continuous. we, our family, friends & those we deal with should be educated every chance possible in what we struggle with minute to minute. it's only fair & right for everyone to know what we & they are up against when autism, asperger's or adhd are involved.awareness can go a long way

      Delete
    2. So it's ok to lie to people if it meets your end right? That's just sad that you think that. Since you don't have enough faith in what you say to put your name on it I guess I won't either.

      Delete