Friday, May 18, 2012

AP Exams VS College Placement Tests

There's merit to both, I'm definitely not denying that. My grievance currently is with foreign language AP Exams vs Level Placement Tests offered by the university. I had the opportunity to take the AP French exam but I chose not to because I knew that my university offered a placement test that I thought would be more accurate in assessing my skills. I was right.

My old French teacher in high school become insistent that her fourth year class become an AP class. She's an idiot. There is absolutely no reason any of those students should take that exam. She came into the teacher workroom saying that her kids are blaming her for not being prepared for the exam. About how one is completely fluent in French and thought she failed. How others have already tested into 200 and 300 level college French and feel they failed. That it's the TEST'S fault for not being an accurate assessment and also the SCHOOL'S fault for not offering a fifth year to better prepare the students.

Uhh, lady? NO ONE MADE YOU OFFER THE AP COURSE.

Offering the AP course does absolutely nothing for your students except make them feel like they don't know the language. You're the only one who thinks it's a good idea to do that and let me tell you, YOUR RESULTS SHOULD SHOW YOU THAT YOU ARE INCORRECT.

College placement tests? Those are the way to go. It's a test that assesses your skill only, not your skill against everyone else who is taking that test. If you have 300-level proficiency, you'll get that score. Whereas with AP, you need a number. And if you don't get that number you're SOL.

I just don't get her logic. But in her words "it looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree, Emma".

No comments:

Post a Comment