Saturday, May 5, 2012

REPA 2 Reaction

CKV: I know the current requirements are not working! I don't agree with these either. I just think the whole education system needs to be overhauled!!!

CJD:
It absolutely does. But allowing people to become teachers because they can pass a test and yet have no training or experience in a classroom is NOT going to be an improvement. There is a difference between a mathematician and a math teacher. I have yet to learn anything mathematical from a mathematician. Likewise, these proposals are suggesting that anyone can be a special education teacher by taking a test. Maybe that's how the teacher in Kentucky, who put a child with autism in a duffle bag and placed it in the hallway, got her credentials.

ED:
One of my professors had a student who was English Ed, ENL, and decided to take the math praxis ii just because and passed, and then was offered a job as a math teacher. I'm moving to illinois to be a teacher lol

CJD:
I may join you, lol. Special education teachers have a maximum case load of 12.

WD:
Not to swerve too far off this important topic, but have you seen Illinois' budget deficits? The entire state may have to declare bankruptcy.

CKV:
I do not THINK (only my opinion) that teachers are really taught their subject matter to a level to earn a degree. My sister has a degree in elementary ed with a minor in English. She teaches first grade, but after 20 years could not teach 4th or 5th to the degree of knowledge needed to be completely successful to all the students. Does that make sense? I think some secondary math teachers can teach algebra for a few years and then couldn't teach geometry to the standard level that should be required.

CJD:
I would agree that a transition from 1st to 5th grade or algebra to geometry might be difficult...at first. But I also believe teachers are capable of getting to that required standard in a shorter period of time than someone who is not educated in education. I also believe good teachers do what it takes to be the best at whatever they are called upon to teach. Teaching cannot be viewed as "just a job". Unfortunately, Dr. Bennett seems to be taking steps to devalue the profession.

CKV:
I don't know...I think there is a big difference in being "taught" or "educated" on HOW to teach, and being ABLE to teach. It is like riding a bike. You know I have just been left a bad taste in my mouth because of educators. I don't have an education degree, but I think my children have more from me than most of the teachers they had.

ED:
I can agree with that statement. I was in a 6th grade math class with two English Language Learners that I would help. It just happened to be a math class with one of my professor's daughters in it. I have heard countless stories from my professor about what is considered "important" in the classroom and how most of it has very little pedagogical value to it. More and more teachers are being told to teach to the test because their jobs are becoming more and more dependent on those test scores. How can a teacher differentiate or keep a low affective filter in the classroom when they are seemingly forced to cram so much information in the kids' head for one test that is the difference between and raise and a pink slip? Dr. Bennett is putting too much emphasis on these scores and not enough on learning in the classroom.

ED:
Oh, and my mother has definitely taught me more than most of my teachers and professors. But she's just that way.

CKV:
but think about it...think about all your mom taught you WITHOUT a teachering license...in this situation before her schooling, she could take the test and teach others in a classroom more than what those that have the teaching licenses under the current statutes and more students would be more successful, you know what i mean? i mean in your mom's case (as well as some others) just having a teaching license doesn't make you a better "teacher" of the material.

CKV:
But, I have been in classrooms in IPS where there are hispanics sitting in the classrooms that do not speak one word of English and they are assigned another student to interpret what the teacher is saying...how do they interpret what they don't understand...some schools are really in some serious crisis

CKV:
if you could find some people like your mom who can speak several languages fluently, and can "teach" effectively the students would be more educated than what they are receiving currently with a licensed teacher who only speaks English. i can see both sides to the proposed plan

CJD:
After having gone to school to become a teacher, I will be a BETTER teacher because of my schooling. And there is plenty of research that says the most successful students are those whose parents value education and help their children outside of the classroom. I had issues with teachers, especially where [my son] was concerned, but I would not trust just anyone who could pass a content test to be able to TEACH that content.

PN:
Did I seriously just read a post on here that said..."WITHOUT a teachering license"? Enough said....and you are criticizing educators? hahahahaha

CKV:
haha, meant teaching license...fingers moving too fast...i understand, but you know, after the kids have certain teachers they had, i might trust one or atleast give them a chance...i remember [J] being in one class and every day they sat around on ebay trying to bid on an "YUGO" car, this teacher had a license but didn't teach ANY material

ED:
I feel like with the standard that education is at currently, where teachers teach more to the test than to teach students to learn, someone without pedagogical training could become a "successful" teacher. HOWEVER. I have thought since I was in 5th grade that I could be a good teacher. Now that I have been through three years of pedagogical methods courses to teach me how to teach students to learn, my standards of being a successful teacher have increased dramatically. Knowing what I know now, I do not think I could have been a truly successful teacher without this training, just one that could get students to pass my classes and keep my job.

ED:
And although this is extremely nitpicky it is a huge myth that you have to know several different language to effectively teach English Language Learners. This past semester I worked with two Korean students in a middle school who had been in the united states both for less than a month. I do not nor have I ever spoken Korean. However, with the methods I have been taught while obtaining my English as a New Language license, I know how to appropriately assess language acquisition and successfully help them acquire English, incorporate their native language, and still get them to understand the necessary academic language.

No comments:

Post a Comment