Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Politics These Days...

There are two issues that are still being argued in politics today that I really just don't understand. I don't understand how abortion laws and legalizing gay marriage are still being debated today.

Abortion: Please tell me how my decision specifically affects your life. It doesn't agree with your religion? I'm sorry, I didn't realize that not only was your religion the only religion but I followed it..oh wait. What's that? Oh, YOU don't agree with abortion? Well that seems like an easy solution, don't get an abortion! You think abortion should be illegal? Are you going to also tell me what baby foods to use, what diapers to use, and what schools to send my child? No? Oh, so you're just going to force me to have this child that I don't want to have and then leave me to it, gotcha. I shouldn't have been having sex in the first place? I'm an adult, my birth control failed, I was raped, I wasn't properly educated, I don't know, take your pick, but making me have a child I don't want for any of these reasons is like punishing me for a crime I didn't commit. I don't understand why so many people are so invest in a matter that does not directly effect them. How does your life change based on this decision that I may or may not make. It's funny, because the people who are pro-life also seem to be the people who are judging the quality of parenting these days. Think about the life of a child you're forcing on them if you don't allow a mother to get an abortion if she thinks she's unfit to be a parent.

Plain and simple: The MOTHER should be able to make the choice she thinks is best for her and her family. Not you, not the government, no one else.

Gay Marriage: I have yet to hear a decent argument as to why gay marriage isn't already 100% legal. Once again, if you're personally against it for whatever reason; congratulations, you don't have to get married. I thought we were beyond the times of segregation and "separate but equal". This is a matter that does not specifically affect you. And considering the monstrosities I've seen with "traditional" marriage, I don't see how same-sex marriage is any less ethical.

The most "supported" argument I've seen for both these cases is a religious argument, and I don't understand how that has backing with our government because of how much they stress "separation between church and state". Neither of these should still be an issue. Let the people who are actually affected by it decide, plain and simple, done and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment