Saturday, August 3, 2013

Society Sucks Sometimes

We live in a society where your status is based on what or who you know. It's one thing to know a secret, but when someone else figures it out, in order to fit in with society, you can't just relish in the fact that you knew about it, you have to make sure they know that you know. But at the same time, when you do that, it either looks like you're boasting or that you're lying and are just trying really hard to fit in. With that logic you'd think you'd be able to just not say anything and be fine with it, But THEN you have to feel like everyone is talking down at you because you're not in the loop...

...I tell things like this to my mother and she's just like "Who the BLEEP cares?!" Which makes me think back to how I was raised. I wasn't raised to have the last word or to make sure everyone knows that I'm just as in the know as everyone else. I was raised to make choices, be content with those choices, take responsibility for my choices, and answer to no one but myself. And while I know this and can reiterate it, I still live in a society where status is everything.

And it's not just word of mouth status. It's physical proof status. If you tell people you met Will Smith it's just like yeah right, you probably just saw a black guy that had the same hair style. No, you need a PICTURE or some other thing to prove that you actually saw him.

This past week at work I knew something that was kept extremely confidential...I knew it because of my new position. But anyway, I had to create a red herring for the staff to think that way they wouldn't get too nosy and make up information. Well the information got leaked (from the source so maybe it's not an actual leak...) and this snooty staff member was acting all high and mighty that he knew the truth, and when I tried to tell him that I've known this whole time he looked like I was making a pathetic attempt to make myself look better than him which in reality that's what he was doing...

I KNOW I shouldn't care. I know it literally means less than nothing. But it irked me so much! And that's society right now. You don't have worth unless you know the right information you're supposed to know at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment