Monday, December 12, 2011

Tears of Joy

When I met with one of my professors to talk about my course path for the next couple of semesters, we got talking about families and life experiences and this and that and the other...

I was talking about my brother and how he got accepted into Rose Hulman Institute of Technology and how high his SAT scores were and how smart he is. But then my professor interjected with

"--you're smart, too, you know!"

I paused with what I was saying. I realized for the first time that between the members of my family I was not giving myself any credit in being smart in the family. What with my brother and sister having genius level IQs and exceptionally high SAT/ACT scores and my dad having two college degrees and my mother having enough motivation to go back to school for Special Education and help right the wrongs in the education system...

...my life and achievements seemed extremely average.

She was concerned that I didn't give myself any credit for the academic success I had achieved in my life.

In that moment I felt a sense of pride that I had never felt in my life. For some reason, her saying that I was smart meant more to me than anything I can compare it to.

Thank you, professor, for believing that my achievements and my work in your classes means something. Because that means more to me than I can ever describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment