Friday, June 8, 2012

First Week Reflections

Well, it definitely is hard to believe that I've been here for a week! Things have become so regular already, it's hard to think of something actually notable to reflect on.

My classes are going well. I am taking a French Conversation and a French Literature course. Currently, both are extremely easy and set at a more intermediate rather than advanced level of language usage. Although it greatly annoyed me at first, it makes sense since this is the first week of class. I'm hoping that it'll get more advanced as the weeks go by.

The hardest challenge (with little surprise) is getting up for my 8:30 class. I currently have three alarms set to help me get up...here's hoping they continue to work!

The weather has been so interesting. I have to say I'm glad it's not in the 90s and humid like it is back home, but there is just a tad bit more rain than I would enjoy. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the rain. But with as big of a walking city Paris is and everything being outside, the rain gets in the way sometimes.

However, I have finally adjusted to the pace here. No more blisters and shin splints!

There are a lot of students who enjoy going out at night and going to a bar or a club, and I'm glad that the group of friends I typically with are not that way. There has been a lot of just exploring the city and hanging out in groups at the FIAP, so I'm glad I don't feel pressured or anxious to do other sort of things.

I still have mixed feelings about going out and drinking. I actually have not had any alcohol since the plane ride to France. I don't know if it's because I don't want to spend the money or if it's because I don't know what to drink or what. I just have not had a big pull to drink here in Paris. Again, it's only been the first week, so we'll see if that changes ;)

I really just feel like I'm back in college. Like, I have my routine, I have my homework, I have my friends. And I think that's probably why I'm still thrown off by the time difference, because everything here feels so normal. And of course my instant access to talk to everybody back home makes it feel like they're a couple cities away, not across the ocean lol.

Of course, the fact that there is no dining open 24/7 like at college and a lot of eateries on this side of Paris close around 9 pm...that part is still taking a little getting used to lol

Unfortunately, I have already lost interest in the city. People are still talking about wanting to visit places and take pictures and I'm just like...eh... And then people act like we'll never come again and that really doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world for me...I swear Ben is going to shank me if he reads this =P

But who knows? Maybe I'll have a change of heart in the next week and be completely in love. I'm not being pessimistic and purposefully trying to have a bad time because I'm not having a bad time at all! In fact, I think I've laughed more here than I have in the past month back home! It's just if this program were to be in Kentucky or Quebec or anywhere else I'd probably be have just as much fun as I'm having here.

Everything I would say is going well. I keep baring in mind that it's just been the first week so there's still lots of time for things to change. here's to keeping an open mind and enjoying the rest of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment