Monday, January 27, 2014

I Don't Get It

A couple posts back I talked about how my body doesn't know the difference between two hours of sleep tired and six hours of sleep tired. It's still true, don't get me wrong (although with all these two hour delays I'm actually getting eight hours and it is glorious) but I noticed something else that my body does not differentiate and it makes me sad.

Cold. 

My body does not tell the difference between "wow I went from chilled to cold" and "you can get frostbite in ten minutes and die" cold. True story. We have some god awful cold right now...wind chill warning on top of a wind chill advisory...schools are freaking cancelled because it is too cold for kids to be waiting for buses! I left work tonight absurdly dreading this supposed -23° cold...only to realize that it just felt cold. It didn't feel like dealth or some metaphor for the coldest thing ever; it felt just as cold as it would if it were thirty degrees warmer. 

Now I can't tell if this is arbitrary or not. You know how like pain is arbitrary...current pain is the worst pain you've felt because your mind can't replicate the memory of pain...I wonder if this is like that. Because although all cold is cold, what was once cold is now tolerable. I mean, in November 20°-30° is god awful, but in January it's a freaking heat wave! 

Realize that I said my body can't distinguish between degrees of COLD, as opposed to degrees of temperature measurement. 

It's all just so...

*sigh* can't I just say I'm over winter and be done with it? Bring on the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment