Monday, March 11, 2013

The Tables have Turned

So I'm watching some of the beginning episodes of The Secret Life of the American Teenager and it's so interesting to see the red flags go off in my head. I mean, this show is hella dramatic, and more times than not it makes me want to yell at the TV, but the writers are kind of genius. No, I don't think that the "secret life" of the American teenager is all about sex (some of it, yes, but not all of it), but these writers made sure that educators, parents, and pretty much anyone outside of adolescence had these red flags raised. There are certain things that the actors say, things they portray, and just general signs that make you want to call the authorities. Peer pressure, bullying, rumors, and the need for therapy are just some of the portrayals. These are things that we study to become educators, and although I've never been a parent, I'm sure it's pretty instinctual to worry about these things. It's pretty crazy.

Glad I never was a troubled teen. Or at least, not AS troubled ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment