Friday, April 11, 2014

National Sibling Day!

So according to Facebook, April 10th is National Sibling Day. For my siblings' sakes, I hope this doesn't catch on like Mother's and Father's day, because that will be the fourth holiday they have to celebrate in April. Poor guys :P

I thought I would do a small tribute to my siblings. I could have posted kooky pictures of them all on Facebook, but this is much more meaningful.

First there's my older brother, Tony. The story goes that he basically ignored my existence until I started to walk. Thanks bro :P He's always tried to protect me in his own way. Whether we're playing video games and I'm player 2 to his player 1, or he's telling me not to go into the flooded basement because he heard the sizzle of one of the power strips, or he's saying "don't do anything I wouldn't do" when I leave to go out with my friends. Despite everything we've been through, he's always good for a laugh, a smile, a joke, and a big brother.

Then, there's my younger sister, Rachel. I want to save her for last because she's seriously "la pièce de résistance" in my eyes. She has the quickest wit I've ever seen, and does this thing where if you say she's funny she looks at you and goes "excuse me...I'm hilarious". She knows exactly what will make me laugh and smile, ESPECIALLY when I am trying my hardest not to do such. I know it's super corny but she is my best friend. If I had to pick one person in the entire world I would pick her time and time again. There are some things that we will never ever see eye to eye on, and others where we don't even have to say anything to know we're thinking the same thing. It's a wonderful experience to have a sister like her.

They're my two blood siblings and I love them dearly. However, there's been one other person in my life that's as much a sibling as a friend.

I've known Ashley since I was a freshman in high school. I'm sure I've told this story before, but I was playing piano in the choir room and she, a senior in the advanced show choir, came in and heard me playing. She then proceeded to put a few coins down on the piano to "tip" me to keep playing. Basically from that point on she decided that I was going to be her little sister. I visited her in college, I told her EVERYTHING that was going on in my life, and to this day there are still some of her words of wisdom that I hold true. She would bail me out of the house when I was an angsty teenager and help me through what I thought were my hardest of times.

All three of these people hold a huge part of my heart and are giant impacts on my life. I can't imagine life without any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment