Thursday, March 24, 2011

How Much do You Want Your Brain to Hurt?

This is what my Linguistics professor just e-mailed me:

I want to make you aware of a mistake I made in class today. When we were writing down the different word classes for each of the words in the sentence, "Many executives eat..." I mistakenly said that 'really' was an adjective. I had heard a question about whether you can have multiple adjectives and knew the answer was yes, but then mistakenly tried to prove it with the wrong sentence.

While 'really' is traditionally considered an adverb in grammar circles, our book actually would identify 'really' as a degree word that expresses a degree of 'fanciness' (like very fancy, or so fancy). The reason it's not an adverb or adjective here is because it is a function word that always modifies adjectives or adverbs and because new words don't enter this category (like open class words).


ooouuuuuchhhhhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment