Tuesday, March 22, 2011

OH THE FRENCH!!!

So. I've noticed in my past two years of college that a lot of people change their majors. Talking to some of these major-changers, I've asked why. The answers I've typically gotten is either "it was something I thought I enjoyed more than I actually did" or "I thought that if it became my profession instead of a hobby I'd end of hating and resenting it".

You want to know something cool? I don't think I've ever felt that way about French. It's been a major part of my life for almost six years now, and I'm working on making it my career. Even when I was thinking about changing my major I was keeping the French and losing the education, not the other way around. It is something that has influenced my life so much that I feel *not* making a career out of it would be a waste of a fantastic talent.

I mean, in all seriousness, it's not like you can recreationally keep up with a language. I mean...you kind of can...but not at the same competence level as teaching it everyday for the rest of your life! GAH FRENCH!!!

And trust me, it's not like I'm not exposed to it enough or anything. If nothing else I'm exposed to it MORE NOW than I will be once I become a teacher. I mean, last semester I took three French classes along with foreign language education along with honors translations. This semester I'm taking only one French class, but I'm working on my honors thesis...which is a 16th century translation.

Not a fan of the translation...especially when I was supposed to have all summer to work on it. I found out about this yesterday and I have to have at least 100 lines by Monday...sheesh!

...but I still want to do it. Call me crazy! (I am crazy if I want to translate something that most dictionaries now don't recognize...) Dr. Gilman tells me every time I translate that I have a knack for it. Even though this is something I have absolutely no interest in, because I am told I have a knack for it, I want to continue.

...yup I'm crazy. OH THE FRENCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment